Beautification Committee Minutes June 2023

Filed under "Committee Minutes"
More articles »

Saturday, July 1, 2023

Beaverdale Beautification Committee meeting 6/20/23


Attending: Nancy Dunbar, Donisue Rupp, Marion Wissler, Jean Swanson, Terry Thielen,Toni Hayes, Barb Mullins, Carole Betts, Mary Ellen Burr


PARKS:   Ashby - all beds are planted, parks provided plants for splash pool bed   Beaverdale - some annuals missing by sign  Westchester - annuals planted look good  Witmer - no info.  Bel-Air & Palm Ave. islands - annuals planted .


TREES:  There was a dedication n Ashby Park for Sasha’s dad’stree on June 3rd at 10 AM. Carole will continue to water Theresa’s tree this season.  Terry is watering Eugene’s tree.   Neighbors will continue to water Marv’s tree.  


URBANDALE AVE MEDIAN: Nepeta looks good at intersection, will get cut back mid summer. Alyssum planted in the bed near 34th St - very poor soil. Nancy & Mary Ellen will continue to walk the median on a regular basis to collect trash. 


FLOWER PICK UP AND PLANTING: Flowers were picked up and planted.  Nancy returned flats to greenhouse, took photos of flower beds and sent to Julie Hempel as requested.


SCRUB: had long line until closed at 1 PM.  Hazardous waste ran out of space and closed early frustrating some people in line.  Over $1000 collected in donations, will be divided among neighborhoods according to neighborhood volunteer numbers


2023 GARDEN WALK: almost all 500 tickets were sold, minor address mistake didn’t seem to be a problem, new Garden markers had to be made when discovered old ones were missing, perfect weather, new banner displayed for 10 days and will be saved for future, 42 yards sign distributed-41 collected, all volunteers, sponsors, and ticket sellers thanked; John/Lisa took photos and will be provided to gardeners. Total funds collected after expenses $4,793.45  It was suggested to reserve $1000 for 2025 Garden Walk, $200 for 2024 Tree Carving event, $2500 for Beaverdale Park donation.  Other suggestions included having a clipboard at gardens for interest in Beautification.


STREETSCAPE: need to monitor and document maintenance with photos this season.


COMMUNICATION TO NEW MEMBERS: Nancy will continue to send letter to new members interested in Beautification to recruit new volunteers


NEXT MEETING: Potluck on July 18th at 6:00 at 6336 Hickman Rd.  


Leave Your Comments

We welcome your comments. Please leave your ideas and opinions below.

Will not be displayed on the site